Tuesday, March 23, 2010

May I have some more?

Tuesday morning...
Sunny and auspicious.Not for long. I'm headed to the gym for my 'daily workout'. I'm in high spirits and nothing i can think of can wipe the smile on my face. As I drive towards the basement  parking entrance a scrawny watchman sited idly by the entrance signals at me. As an obliging citizen, i gingerly stop  and open the car window. With an awkward grin on his face he asks for  a 50 bob ya soda'-which means 50 shillings to buy a soda or a cigarette telling by his brown-stained teeth.
Okay,I get it;
But I don't mean to sound immodest
I must look like I have the money due to the fact that I'm drivin a car but for Christ's sake I'm just a teen. I don't earn any money neither does money grow on me. Being the gentleman I am,I tell him that I don't have the money with me and I'll 'tip' him for his service tomorrow. I manage to do this politely and truthfully, for the first part only. 
Fast forward
After my 3-hour thorough workout, I'm spent and all I want is a shower. Unfortunately, the gym instructor doesn't agree with me and decides to rudely interrupt my ME time-as if me being half-naked isn't hint enough!I shoulh have probably worn a Do not disturb necklace. To make things worse, he has the gall to interrupt me and ask for 'kitu kidogo ya Lunch'-something small to by lunch.What luck! He earns money,i don't. The monthly gym subscription is obscenely high yet he wants me to butter his bread. If only people would stop taking advantage of Kenyans' hospitable nature,we would avoid these embarrasing moments.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha... you must look naive or inviting in some other way... for the gym instructor, you sure he was just soliciting for money? hint: naked Markez, lonely place, muscular instructor, inviting-faced Markez (Again)... The evidence is overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete